Taking GIOTRIF® (afatinib)
GIOTRIF® (afatinib) Dosing
GIOTRIF® (afatinib) allows for the flexibility of individualised dosing.1
The recommended starting dose for GIOTRIF® (afatinib) is 40 mg once daily.1
GIOTRIF® (afatinib) dose modification can be an important strategy to help manage adverse reactions.1 Find out more.
Dose modification has been shown to reduce the incidence of adverse drug reactions without impacting on drug effectiveness in real-world clinical practice, replicating results seen in clinical trials.1–3
GIOTRIF® (afatinib) should be taken on an empty stomach.1
- Food should not be taken for at least three hours before and at least one hour after taking a dose
Tablets should be swallowed whole or with water.1
- If this is not possible tablets should be dispersed until broken into small particles, for no longer than 15 minutes, in non-carbonated drinking water and consumed immediately. The glass should be rinsed with 100 ml of water which should also be swallowed
A missed dose should be taken within the same day as soon as the patient remembers.1
- However, if the next dose is due within 8 hours then the missed dose must be skipped
- GIOTRIF® (afatinib), Summary of Product Characteristics, 2018.
- Yang JC, et al. Ann Oncol 2016;27(11):2103–2110.
- Halmos B, et al. Lung Cancer 2018;127:103–111.